Friday, December 12, 2008

My 2008 Heisman Ballot

Now that Everett Golson has been crowned the Zoneman, we can find out who will win the Heisman in 2008. I wonder one day if Golson will win the Heisman. He's got a long way to go, but his makeup off the field is the biggest intangible going his way. I've been fortunate enough to have a Heisman vote for the past eight years.
This is the year of the quarterback and like many ballots, I have three signal callers on my list. I feel bad that Graham Harrell didn't get an invite to New York, as the Texas quarterback deserved to make the podium. I was very close to putting Myron Rolle on my ballot as I think the Florida State safety is beyond the definition of a student athlete. Now that my ballot is cast, I have a little bit of regret that I was afraid to pull the trigger on a "symbolic vote". To be a Rhodes Scholar and play at a high level of college football is simply astounding. I wish that the Heisman ballot expanded to the top 5 instead of just three.
We know that the top three will be (in no particular order) - Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy. I am guessing that Bradford is the favorite based on the website www.stiffarmtrophy.com (a great site to check out if your into projections). You can go around in circles talking about the merits and nitpick about all three of these guys, but in the end here's what my thought process was. I voted Tim Tebow first last year and I didn't see anything that made me need to change my pick this year. It seemed as if he fell off the favorite radar after a week four loss to Ole Miss which followed a less than glitzy statline against Tennessee (the Gators won that game 30-6). Now that we've arrived at the end of the year, a one point loss to the Rebels isn't as bad as it seemed earlier in the year. If you look at Tebow's stats in the loss (24 of 38, 319 yards, 1 TD pass, 0 INT and 2 TD runs), those are some pretty good numbers in a defeat. He doesn't have the same mind boggling numbers as last year, but 28 TD's and only 2 INT's really sticks out as a major plus. Bradford and McCoy are both excellent and are both deserving of this award. In the end, I couldn't come up with a reason to take my first place vote for Tebow off the table. So here is my official Heisman vote:

1st place - Tim Tebow, Florida
2nd place - Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
3rd place - Colt McCoy, Texas

It should be a close race and there should be a little bit of drama and uncertainty when the next Heisman winner is revealed on Saturday night.

No comments: